travel tales for family and friends. . .

wild horses. . .Theodore Roosevelt NP - North Dakota

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Niagara Falls at Last

Monday, July 8

It took me 55 years. . .but I finally made it. . .

and the best part. . .

New York, Niagara Falls (2)-006

Dave had never seen Niagara Falls either. . .so we get to explore together. . .nice!

On all of our trips, except Alaska and Hawaii, Dave had gone as a child. . .

it’s fun to be able to have new adventures together. . .I like it!

New York, Niagara Falls (26)-001

and as if exploring with Dave wasn’t exciting enough. . .my younger brother. . .

the middle child. . .and Mama’s favorite. . .ha ha. . .had business in the area. . .

so he and his fabulous bride, Kim. . .were able to join us. . .

seriously. . .not sure if it gets much better!

Top of the Falls Restaurant

our very first stop. . .Top of the Falls Restaurant. . .yes a burger was $15. . .

but it was a delicious burger. . .and where else could you enjoy a burger and fries with this view. . .worth it!

Niagara Falls - view from Luna Island

it was ALL fabulous. . .no pictures. . .no matter how many I show you

could ever do justice to the awesomeness of God’s majestic handiwork!

 

First off, we purchased the Discovery Pass. . .it’s available at all the kiosks inside

Niagara Falls State Park. . .$33 per person. . .included the transportation to everywhere. ..

so we rode the trolley. . .got off at every stop. . .explored every inch. . .

or you can buy the Adventure Pass on the Canadian Side. . .basically the same package.

Niagara Falls - Sisters Island - Bird Fishing - Collage

this little guy was fishing at Three Sister’s Island. . .my photographer hubby caught him in the act

Niagara Falls - view from Luna Island

the views from Luna Island were beyond spectacular. . .

we were so close to Bridal Falls we could almost reach out and touch it. . .

I’m including this short video of Bridal Falls on the left and the American Falls on the right. . .

I hope it will work, so you can see the volume of water going over these falls. . .amazing!

Cave of the Winds Collage

at Cave of the Winds I had the bright idea (because I had read it somewhere)

to put my camera in a ziploc bag to protect it. . .

I’m very sad that none of my pics really came out. . .

I can tell that Louis and Kim are waving at me from the Hurricane Deck,

but only because I know they were there. . .not really sure how you could get pics up there. . .

the guys with the waterproof cameras weren’t having very much luck either. . .

the force of the water when you are standing on the platform is so great

that you can literally only stand there for a few seconds. . .

an RV friend advised wearing our Frog Togs rain gear rather than the

cheap plastic ponchos they issue to you. . .brilliant tip. . .that’s why I have on the green poncho. . .

then Dave and I also decided to wear Crocs rather than switching out to the lovely water sandals. . .

Maid of the Mist Collage

the Maid of the Mist (Discovery Pass) is a must do. . .

but again, very difficult to get pics. . .

as advised we went to the right hand side of the boat,

because we were told that when the boat swung back around

we would have the best views from that viewpoint. . .

I hafta agree that they were correct. . .

all the folks who had crowded to the front were quickly

scrambling for a better viewing angle. . .it wasn’t such an issue on our boat,

as it wasn’t very crowded. . .but we had seen boats earlier in the day that were wall to wall people. . .

I believe if I ever do it again, I will remain on the lower deck. . .

the views are just as good. . .and you don’t get “rained” on quite as much! 

I had all the being rained on I cared for when I carried mail. . .thank you very much. . .

paying to experience it just doesn’t rate real high up there on my wish list. . .

but the Maid of the Mist experience is great. . .and we highly recommend it!

Toronto Ontario Canada Niagara Falls Collage

we were told repeatedly. . . and often. . . that the view of the falls was so much more awesome. . .

so much more spectacular from the Canadian side. . .so of course we wanted to experience that!

and while I would agree that the view of the American Falls and Bridal Falls is better from over there. . .

if you don’t have a Passport. . .I wouldn’t go to the trouble and expense of getting one just for that view.

 

You can go out on the viewing platform above the Maid of the Mist, and get a beautiful view of

the American Falls from there. . .it’s not head on like from the Canadian side. . .but it’s pretty darn fabulous. . .

and. . .if you plan correctly, and do a bit of switching up. . .you could easily get a spectacular view

of the American Falls and Bridal Falls from the deck of Maid of the Mist. . .

 

one last note about Niagara Falls. . .

read this blog post. . .he will tell you a lot more details

and info than I could ever remember to share. . .

http://www.rv-dreams-journal.com/2011/07/niagara-falls-state-park-niagara-falls-ny.html

I saved this blog entry for the last two years because it was so great

and had so much information. . .if you are going. . .I recommend reading it!

Canada, Ontario, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Floral Clock (3)

another must see on the Canadian Side. . .the Floral Clock. . .very pretty!

 

Lots more to explore,

Til next time,

Janice and Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter