travel tales for family and friends. . .

wild horses. . .Theodore Roosevelt NP - North Dakota

Friday, November 25, 2011

Evans Escapades–Camping Out in the Woods

Our beautiful Space #60 in the woods - 50 amp service - no sewer
Here we are all snuggled up in the woods in Sam Houston National Forest in a lovely little campground named Double Lake Recreation Area. . .
Double Lake Swimming Hole
Double Lake is consider the local “swimming hole.”  Sadly this is all there is of it at the moment. . .the drought has taken a toll on of the lakes in Texas. . .but this is the first one I have seen that is completely GONE!
Keith Thanksgiving Family Reunion 2011
Dave’s family reunion was just great. . .here’s a shot of the next generation of cuteness. . .the one on the right is our youngest nephew. . .of course we think he is just adorable. . .as are his second cousins!
Keith Thanksgiving Family Reunion 2011 - Bailey the Beggar - so adorable
This is Bailey the Beggar. . .she sat just like this then entire time I was eating. . .let me tell you . . .it was very difficult to resist that face. . .but resist I did. . .I didn’t dare feed someone else’s puppy table scraps. . .since I never fed them to my own dogs.

We head back to my Dad’s tomorrow. . .check on my Uncle who is in the hospital. . attend my niece’s wedding on Monday. . .then see you in Houston next week!



Restaurant.com - Most $25 Gift Certificates for on


Click here for Restaurant.com

4 comments:

  1. We stayed at Double Lake several times before we started full-timing and it is one of our favorite places. We have some great memories associated with the campground. So sad to see the lake gone . . . it really is/was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. . .it is sad. The park host here said it was going to take a LOT of rain and runoff to get it filled back up. . .I think they are taking advantage of this misfortune though. . .there are a lot of construction projects going on. . .should be great next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love that Forest. That is where I collected my first needles for my pine needle baskets.
    The picture of the boys cracks me up. Isn't a hoot to see what is in their hands. When my girls were little, the boys would be holding Hot Wheels; now it is cell phones. What a difference 20 years makes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you should mention the pine needles. . .I don't believe I ever noticed how long a pine needle was until I started reading your blog. Yesterday, on my walk, I caught myself thinking. . .I guess those needles are about six inches long. . .LOL!

    True about the cell phones. . .all the teen girls had them out. . .I think the boys had their Nintendo DSL's. . .but I really don't have a clue. . .hoping to meet up with you guys before you head out.

    ReplyDelete


Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter