travel tales for family and friends. . .

wild horses. . .Theodore Roosevelt NP - North Dakota

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Conquering the Royal Gorge Bridge

In 1988 we took our boys on a
Colorado Rocky Mountain vacation
#105 On the bridge_thumb[2]

the Royal Gorge Bridge was one of our stops. . .
just about the time we got a third of the way out on the bridge,
a vehicle started over behind us. . .which caused the bridge to
feel like we were walking across a trampoline. . .hellooooo. . .
that was it for me. . .I headed back to solid ground,
while Dave and the boys, much braver than their Mom
headed on across. I have always regretted that decision. . .so. . .

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (140)_thumb[2]

24 years and lots of pounds later here we are. . .
I’m bound and determined to conquer my fear

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (143)_thumb[2]

and do just as this billboard says. . .Walk across this crazy hanging in the air
with no supports bridge. . .as it bounces and sways with every footstep. . .
I can do it. . .I can do it. . .I even gave myself the pep talk. . .
“Every day, hundreds of people and vehicles cross this bridge. . .
and you’ve yet to read a news report about a collapse.”
Right! . . .here we go. . .

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (28)_thumb[2]

all was going well until I discovered there is only
a fastener about every fourth plank. . .WHAT?
Are they crazy. . .every single board should be
screwed and bolted down. . .

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (29)_thumb[4]

then Dave took great delight in pointing out the cracks
that were big enough to lose a small child through. . .
with the Arkansas River roaring by a thousand feet below. . .

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (57)_thumb[3]

okay, okay. . .stop looking down. . .just keep your
head up and look forward. . .OH LORD! OH LORD!
not helping. . .good grief. . 
.
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (56)_thumb[1]

My son required proof that I actually made it. . .so I took
this pic of his Dad in the very center of the bridge. . .
seriously. . .I really took it!

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (30)_thumb[1]

and please. ..wouldn’t you love to hear the story
behind the need for this sign. . .really?

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (3)_thumb[1]

We finally made it all the way across. . .and was taking a break on one of the
restaurant patios with a great view of the bridge when I had this bright idea. . .
I told Dave. . .I’ll go back up on the bridge. . .and you take my pic. . .

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (39)_thumb[1]

THAT was going very well. . .until. . .

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (48)_thumb[1]

this stupid car came across behind me. . .too late to do anything but hold on and pray!

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (45)_thumb[1]

Dave laughing at my moment of sheer terror. . .thanks honey!

Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (12)_thumb[1]

So glad to have conquered my fear. . .
will I ever walk across it again. . .NO!


3 comments:

  1. lol. I am following you someday. we are going to B.C. next month and hope to cross the
    Columbia River Gorge. are you still gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. I sooooo want to make it to BC someday. . .I want to see Banff ( I think that's where it is). . .I will put the Columbia River Gorge on my list to research. . .enjoy your trip!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter