travel tales for family and friends. . .

wild horses. . .Theodore Roosevelt NP - North Dakota

Friday, June 4, 2010

Mt Rushmore - I may never pass this way again

To see Mt Rushmore, and then to know the story, and the sacrifice. . .
fourteen years from conception to completion. . .
it is truly an amazing feat.


We took pictures from every angle possible. . .as we walked from one outpost to the next. . .I could not get over this amazing engineering feat. . .accomplished at a time in history, when machinery was still new to the scene. . .note that only George Washington has a completed outfit with lapels and ascot. . .

As I was admiring this sculpture, and the surroundings, the thought kept going through my head. . .
I may never pass this way again. . .
There are so many things to see and do, I wanted to enjoy every moment that I was there. . .

I purchased this postcard showing how the mountain looked before the blasting began in 1927
We climbed every one of these stairs, plus a few hundred more. . .
My legs were so sore, I could hardly walk the next day. . .it is the pits getting old!
I'm so thankful we chose to take a bus tour, or I would have never seen these tunnels. . .
There was no way Dave was driving Iron Mountain Road, or Needles Highway,and after the bus tour,
 I can say, he made the right decision







This is how it looked from inside the bus,


and this is how close the rock was outside the window of the bus. . .
this is how close we would have been if we had taken the Beast through this tunnel.
Knowing our luck, we would have managed to get stuck in there!

I think there were literally four inches to spare on the sides of the bus. . .
the driver put on quite a show for the spectators waiting to drive through from the other side.
There is no explaining it. . .if you ever go to Mt Rushmore. . .I highly recommend the bus tour!


and of course. . .a beautiful view from the Keystone Highway!

see the rest of our Mt Rushmore pics here: 

Next: all about our Buffalo Hunt at Custer State Park
Get updates on EvansEscapades by submitting your email address at the top of this page. . .
You'll only receive updates from us, and can unsubscribe at any time

We love to hear your thoughts, and read your comments, so email us anytime at EvansEscapades@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter